Bonnyrigg Rose v Newtongrange Star
Scottish Junior Cup


Courtesy of bonnyrigg rose tv

Report from Bonnyrigg Rose

Rose March On in Derby With Minimum of Fuss


Bonnyrigg Rose swept aside their local rivals Newtongrange Star with a dominant first half performance. They took their foot off the gas in the second period and despite a wobble, when Star reduced the lead with just over 15 minutes remaining, they ran out comfortable winners and take their place in the last 16. The home side controlled the first half and Star never really looked likely to cause an upset despite a free kick goal from O’Hara which kept them in the tie. Star were far more positive after the break but Rose stepped up a gear when required and a Martyniuk penalty closed the visitors out.



Quite a few East Region Junior clubs were supposed to be in Scottish Junior Cup 4th round action today but, arguably the match of the day was at New Dundas Park, where East Super League leaders Bonnyrigg Rose played host to local rivals Newtongrange Star. Rose were narrowly beaten semi finalists last season against eventual winners Glenafton Athletic and are unbeaten this season. Star have picked up a little from last season when they narrowly escaped relegation but ,they sit in the lower half of the Super League. 
Rose have enjoyed wins over Shettelston, Fauldhouse United and Vale of Leven in this year’s cup campaign. Star received a first round bye before subsequently accounting for Dundee East Craigie and Cumbernauld United. Both sides are former winners of the national trophy but it’s been over 40 years since either has lifted the cup. 
Rose have been in fine form in the last few weeks scoring freely in home league games against Kennoway Star Hears and Jeanfield Swifts. Star have not seen League action since the middle of November but have had two competitive games against Cumbernauld United in the last four weeks. The sides played out a goalless draw at New Victoria Park back in August. 
Bonnyrigg made a huge effort to get this tie on despite the recent heavy snow and hard overnight frost. The pitch was cleared of snow earlier in the week and then covers put down to protect the exposed surface from frost. A terrific effort from committee and volunteers!

There was a bumper crowd of nearly 1100 inside New Dundas Park on a cold, but sunny afternoon to see the teams kick off more than 5 minutes late to allow the crowd in.

Bonnyrigg were straight onto the attack but an early Currie free kick came to nothing. In Stars first attack they won a corner but it was easily cleared. In their next foray forward Melvin had a shooting chance at the edge if the box but his effort was blocked by Lough. 

The pattern of the game was beginning to develop as Rose dominated possession and when Star did get the ball, they couldn’t keep it. 

After 10 minutes the home side nearly took the lead. Currie rolled a corner into the path of Nelson just inside the box. Renton managed to get a hand to his well struck shot and O’Hara, on the line,  completed the clearance - Young followed up but couldn’t hit the target. Three minutes later the home side were nearly in again. Martyniuk, who was finding far too much space in the left, made a good run and cut inside before forcing Renton into a good stop at his near post. However, the warning signs were there and after 16 minutes Rose deservedly went ahead. Once again Martyniuk was the creator on the left. His cross found Gray whose shot was again parried by Renton but, CURRIE followed up to slide the ball home.

The goal sparked Star into life and a fine ball from O’Brien released K Scott but his shot from a good position was a tame one and Young fielded it easily. It was a reminder that Star still held some threat on the counter attack. 

After 23 minutes Rose doubled their lead. Once again it was a cross ball that caused the damage. Currie floated in a deep free kick which was’t dealt with and when the clearing header fell to YOUNG, he smashed a terrific volley in off the underside of the bar - a terrific finish from the big defender!

Rose were in total control now and another cross from Martyniuk gave Nelson a shooting chance but he put his effort over. In Rose’s next attack Young fired in a terrific shot from range but it was straight at Renton. 

Star made a rare foray into the Rose half after 36 minutes and won  a corner but, it came to nothing although it gave them a little encouragement. In their next attack they won a free kick just outside Rose’s box. O’HARA and Scott stood over the ball for ages before the former fired his shot past Young, giving the keeper no chance - 38 minutes played and Star back in the tie. 

However, the window of opportunity wasn’t open long. With 40 minutes on the clock Rose reinstated their two goal advantage. This time the provider with the cross from the right was Brett and his fine delivery was well headed home by LOUGH, who rose unchallenged. 


Rose led deservedly at the break as they had outplayed the visitors and restricted them to scraps of possession and few shooting chances. 

Half Time Bonnyrigg Rose 3;  Newtongrange Star1

Star withdrew Lally and introduced Lowson and the changed clearly made a difference as they came far more into the game. 

After 49 minutes Scott found himself in a good position but put his effort wide when he had a great chance to reduce the deficit. Once again it was a reminder to Rose that Star were still in the match. After 54 minutes, O’Hara had another shooting opportunity for the visitors but again he put it wide. 

After 65 minutes, Rose took Lough off and introduced McGachie in an attempt to create more chances as they had been strangely quiet since the break and failed to trouble Renton in Star’s goal. With 72 minutes played, Star nearly pulled a goal back. A good cross came in from the right but, Scott’s firm header was too close to Young who pulled off a great stop. However, a second goal for the visitors was only delayed. Rose conceded a free kick on the right about 25 yards out and O’HARA (who had a sighter a minute earlier) smashed a terrific shot past the helpless Young. The tie was certainly in the balance now but, just as in the first half, Star couldn’t stop Rose responding almost immediately. 

Once again a great cross came in from the right and McGachie nearly forced the ball home but his effort was cleared off the line. A minute later the same player went on a great run from the left into the box before going down under a tackle. Referee Matthew MacDermid was right on the spot and awarded a spot kick straight away. After a short delay while the referee dealt with protests from the Star bench, MARTYNIUK stepped up and restored Rose’s two goal lead. Rose then  introduced Hoskins for Nelson 

With 6 minutes remaining, Star showed they were still alive as O’Brien pulled a shot just wide.

Rose then brought on Stewart for Janczyk.

With two minutes remaining Rose added the icing on the cake when they added a fifth. McGachie did brilliantly to set up McIntosh who fed BRETT who calmly passed the ball beyond Renton. 


Rose deserved their win and as usual they were well served by their defence (albeit without usual starters Brown, Hoskins and Moyes!) - Brett and Martyniuk both contributed goals and got behind the Star defence before delivering good crosses.  Janczyk had a superb game and displayed a full range of passing whilst always calm and assured on the ball. Gray was busy and McIntosh and Lough and McGachie from the bench, a handful.

They now await the 5th round draw as this season’s unbeaten run continues. They have scored 16 goals in their last three games and now face a Super league fixture against Hill of Beath. They were rewarded yesterday for all their hard work in getting the game played and the large crowd was entertained with a good local derby. 


Star found it difficult and shot themselves in the foot twice by conceding quickly each  time they scored. They faced a very good side in Bonnyrigg and struggled to get into the game and retain the ball. They created few chances but didn’t take them when they might have put Rose under pressure. They were well served by Renton in goal and O’Hara contributed more than his goals. Bracks was a tireless worker. Newtongrange face another local derby next week at home Penicuk Athletic. 

Referee MacDermid and his team handled the game well and he used the yellow cards sensibly. The young referee applied the rules taking into account the occasion and the conditions.

Full Time Bonnyrigg Rose 5;  Newtongrange Star 2



Bonnyrigg Rose
B Young,Brett,Martyniuk, K Young,Horne,Janczyk,Gray,Nelson,Lough,McIntosh and Currie Subs Hoskins, Turner, McGachie, Stewart and Andrews ( Gk)


Newtongrange Star
Renton, K Scott, Swaney, Mitchell, Melvin, O'Hara, O’Brien, Bracks, Forster, Lally, Osborne Subs Porteous,S Scott,McNaughton, Lawson and Dunsmore


Referee Matthew MacDermid

Assistant Referees Gregg Haynes and Darren Cormack 


Gordon Baird

Neutral Reporter