West Calder United v Boness United
Fife and Lothians Cup

Report from the Boness United

West Calder United badge

West Calder United

Andrew MochanA Mochan (21')
David LoveD Love (28')


2-4 pens

Bo'ness Utd

Bo'ness Utd

Fraser KeastF Keast (62')
Ross CampbellR Campbell (84')

Bo'ness United FC badge

Saturday 7th October 2017

Match details

Kick off: 2:30pm
Competition: Fife and Lothians Cup (1st Round)
Venue: Hermand Park
(Away match)
Map: View map
Season: 2017-2018

Match score

Half time score: 2-0
Full time score: 2-2
Penalties: 2-4
Final result: 2-2

(2-4 pens)


Referee: Peter Stuart

Match Report

Written by Kevin McAlpine

United advance in the Fife and Lothians cup after a tense afternoon in West Lothian. Manager Allan McGonigal handed Connor Flynn-Gillespie and Ryan Batchelor their first starts, and Michael Gemmill led the team out as captain. The home side were sharper at the start of the match, the dangerous Andy Mochan had an effort cleared off the goal-line, and an excellent mazy run from Ryan Inglis  led to a shot just past BU keeper Marshall's right post. Calum Scott had two efforts as Bo'ness came into the game slightly, but neither seriously threatened home 'keeper Jordan Hamilton. West Calder took the lead in the twentieth minute, a long clearance from Hamilton found Mochan clear of the Bo'ness defence and he made no mistake with a clinical finish past Marshall. Bo'ness almost equalised immediately, Jack Wilson's effort from Shirra's cross was palmed onto the woodwork by Hamilton and the save would prove vital for the hosts two minutes later when they doubled their lead. Another long ball found the Bo'ness defence wanting, and former Bo'ness forward David Love raced clear of Campbell before expertly lobbing Marshall. Will Snowdon had a header wide from Flynn-Gillespies free kick and that was it for the first half.


Half time: West Calder 2-0 Bo'ness United.


Bo'ness introduced Fraser Keast for Ryan Batchelor at half time and he made a positive impact for the visiting side. On forty-nine minutes his direct run and cross found Ryan Millar who unfortunately shot straight at the goalkeeper. Bo'ness continued to press for a way back into the match and created a golden chance with fifty-seven minutes on the clock. A clever Jacobs free-kick saw Millar and Gemmill combine well, the latters terrific cross found substitute Sally unmarked in a great position but his header was off target. Five minutes later Bo'ness did get the goal they deserved, Keast finishing from close range after a good pass from Flynn-Gillespie. Shirra and Millar again linked up well to set up Sally but he miscued from another good position. Scott Sally had a shot at goal from halfway after a Hamilton clearance went askew, and after seventy-nine minutes Bo'ness really should have equalised. Sally showed a good touch to control a Jacobs cross and the frontman set up Millar who inexplicably missed with the goal gaping. Bo'ness had a strong penalty shout turned down when Keast  looked to be fouled as he raced onto a lovely Flynn Gillespie pass, but the leveler was to arrive a minute later. An Andy Shirra free kick from the left was controlled by Ross Campbell, who turned well and powered the ball past Hamilton. Millar again shot wide after being played in by a Keast Flick on, but the last action of the game unfortunately led to a red card for the BU's. Michael Gemmill taking a second yellow card for the team as West Calder broke away and had a great chance on the counter.


Full time: West Calder 2-2 Bo'ness United.


Bo'ness won the penalty shootout 4-2 to advance to the second round. Website MOTM: Connor Flynn-Gillespie.